Oracle Introduces Oracle Exadata Storage Expansion Rack
Empowers Customers With Big Data Requirements to Cost-Effectively Grow the Capacity of Oracle Exadata Database Machines
July 12, 2011 --
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 07/12/11 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Oracle today announced the Oracle Exadata Storage Expansion Rack, a cost-effective way to add extreme performance storage servers to an Oracle Exadata Database Machine.
- The Oracle Exadata Storage Expansion Rack is ideal for storing massive amounts of structured and unstructured data including historical relational data; backups of Oracle Exadata Database Machine; weblogs; documents, images, LOBs and XML files.
- Standard Oracle Exadata Storage Expansion Rack configurations come with 96 Terabytes to more than 3 Petabytes of Raw Disk Storage using only the included InfiniBand switches.
- More than 10 Petabytes of user data can be stored using the Exadata Hybrid Columnar Compression which is included.
- Also included, the Flash PCI Card Capacity ranges from 1.5 TB to 47 TB.
- The Intel Xeon CPU processing power in the Oracle Exadata Storage Servers range from 48 CPU Cores to more than 1,500 CPU Cores.
Extreme Scalability for Mission-Critical Database Storage
- The Oracle Exadata Storage Expansion Rack has complete redundancy built in to support the demands of critical applications including redundant 40 Gb/sec InfiniBand connectivity.
- Each server also features hot-swappable disks, power supplies and fans for high availability.
- The Oracle Exadata Storage Expansion Rack supports the full range of unique Oracle Exadata Storage Software features including:
- Oracle Exadata Hybrid Columnar Compression that typically provides 10x compression;
- Oracle Exadata Smart Scan that runs database queries directly in storage;
- Oracle Exadata Storage Indexes;
- Oracle Exadata Data Mining Offload;
- Oracle Exadata Backup Acceleration; and,
- Oracle Exadata I/O Resource Manager prioritization by Database User or Job.
- Automatic Storage Management (ASM) dynamically and automatically balances the data across Oracle Exadata Storage Servers, evenly balancing the I/O load across the racks to fully utilize all available hardware.
- ASM also provides disk mirroring (normal or triple mirrored) to protect against disk failures, loss of data and safeguard data accessibility.
- The Oracle Exadata Storage Expansion Rack comes in three configurations:
- Full Rack with 18 Oracle Exadata Storage Servers delivering up to 6.75 TB of Oracle Exadata Smart Flash Cache, 432 TB of raw disk storage, and 216 CPU Cores for SQL processing in storage;
- Half Rack with 9 Oracle Exadata Storage Servers delivering 3.4 TB of Oracle Exadata Smart Flash Cache, 216 TB of raw disk storage, and 108 CPU Cores for SQL processing in storage; and,
- Quarter Rack with 4 Oracle Exadata Storage Servers delivering 1.5 TB of Oracle Exadata Smart Flash Cache, 96 TB of raw disk storage, and 48 CPU Cores for SQL processing in storage.
- All three versions of the Oracle Exadata Storage Expansion Rack are delivered with the same 2 TB High Capacity SAS disks and Oracle Exadata Smart Flash Cache available in the Oracle Exadata Database Machine.
- Up to eight Oracle Exadata Database Machine racks and Oracle Exadata Storage Expansion Racks can be simply connected via InfiniBand cables to achieve single storage grid with a raw disk capacity of 3,360 TB. Larger configurations can be built with additional switches.
- "Organizations today are continually challenged with managing and storing the explosive growth in both structured and unstructured data," said Andrew Mendelsohn, senior vice president, Database Server Technologies, Oracle. "By combining leading, industry-standard servers and storage hardware from Sun with the intelligence built into Oracle software, the Oracle Exadata Database Machine and Oracle Exadata Storage Expansion Rack allow customers to achieve unmatched data scalability, capacity and reliability."
- About Oracle Exadata Database Machine
- About Oracle Database 11g
- About Oracle Exadata Storage Server
- Read Oracle Exadata Storage Expansion Rack Data Sheet
- Learn more about Oracle Exadata customers
- Connect with Oracle Database via Blog, Facebook and Twitter
About Oracle Exadata
The Oracle Exadata Database Machine is the only database machine that provides extreme performance for both data warehousing and online transaction processing (OLTP) applications, making it the ideal platform for consolidating onto grids or private clouds. It is a complete package of servers, storage, networking, and software that is massively scalable, secure, and redundant. With Oracle Exadata Database Machine, customers can reduce IT costs through consolidation, manage more data on multiple compression tiers, improve performance of all applications, and make better business decisions in real time.
Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) is the world's most complete, open, and integrated business software and hardware systems company. For more information about Oracle, please visit our Web site at http://www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Copyright @ Marketwire