The TOUGHBOOK T1 & N1 handhelds meets all requirements for Google’s rugged Android certification
BRACKNELL, UK. 19th March 2019 – Two of Panasonic’s leading rugged handheld devices have been certified by Google as Android Enterprise Recommended Rugged Devices– meeting all specification requirements. The TOUGHBOOK T1 and TOUGHBOOK N1, both with integrated barcode reader, voice and data functionality, are the first Panasonic Android devices to be certified under the new scheme for rugged devices.
The Android Enterprise Recommended scheme makes it simple for businesses to confidently select, deploy and manage Android devices and services that meet elevated enterprise requirements validated by Google. Android Enterprise Recommended for Rugged Devices is a specific section of the scheme for devices built to handle tough environments with protection against drops, dust and more. Android Enterprise Recommended Rugged Devices are also receive updates over long deployment periods as required by enterprise customers.
The Panasonic TOUGHBOOK T1 and N1 devices both meet Google’s requirements for Rugged Certification, which includes reliability, security, ease of management and future-proof criteria for an Android Enterprise support system.
Google requires rugged devices to be military standard MIL-STD810G with an Ingress Protection rating against dust and water of IP64 and be able to withstand drops of up to 1.2m. Both Panasonic TOUGHBOOK devices are rated to a much higher ingress protection standard of IP68. The TOUGHBOOK N1 can survive drops of up to 2.1m and the TOUGHBOOK T1 drops of up to 1.5m and with that both exceeding Google requirements.
Google demands security updates are deployed by manufacturers within 90 days of issue for up to a five year period. Panasonic offers three levels of support. A free of charge service delivers updates a minimum of twice a year or more until 1 year after product end-of-life. Its optional service package offers security updates approximately every 45 days (twice a quarter) for a period of five years or up to product end-of-life plus 3 years. Under a special project agreement this support can be extended even further which could lead up to a total of 10 years.
Ease of management
Google demands its certified devices offer “zero touch” management capabilities after an initial QR code of Near Field Communication (NFC) set-up. Panasonic offers an extensive range of management options including QR, NFC and support for customers using Mobile Device Management (MDM) and Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) applications from major vendors, as well as its own Panasonic Rapid Configuration Tool (PARC).
Finally, to ensure longevity of OS version support, Google requires all certified device manufacturers to support at least one major OS release for devices with Android 7.0 and above. Panasonic’s T1 and N1 handheld devices already use the Android 8.1 (Oreo) operating system and will be upgraded to Android 9 (Pie) in the future. Additional OS upgrades will be possible, depending upon future Android hardware capabilities.
Jan Kaempfer, General Manager of Marketing for Panasonic Computer Product Solutions, said: “As business customers continue to rapidly adopt Android mobile computing devices for their workforce they want to be sure that the devices they choose are built for the enterprise market and backed by the levels of support they need. As the long-term European leader in rugged mobile computing, Panasonic is happy to participate in Google’s Android Enterprise Ready certification for Rugged Devices and to see that our Android standards for reliability, security, ease of management and future-proofing already exceed the high bar set.”
Reinventing the rugged handhelds
The TOUGHBOOK T1 brings together the best of handheld and smartphone functionality into a single rugged 5″ device. With its voice and data capabilities, integrated barcode scanner, wide range of functionality and a host of accessories this handheld is the ideal tool for mobile workers in the retail, manufacturing, warehouse, transportation & logistics and public safety sectors.
The TOUGHBOOK N1 brings together the best of handheld, smartphone and barcode reader functionality into one of the thinnest and lightest handheld tablets in the 4.7” category. Its angled rear barcode reader protects users from repetitive strain and enhances productivity, and has an optional passive and active pen for precise handwriting and signature capture. Thanks to its fully-rugged design, the device delivers a long life span and very low TCO. The user-replaceable and warm-swappable battery, combined with a range of accessories such as carry and mounting solutions, make it a truly mobile device.
The Amber Group
+44 (0) 1189 497737
About Panasonic System Communications Company Europe (PSCEU)
Our quest is to make technology work invisibly together and free businesses to succeed. We believe technology should just work. That businesses will succeed if they can simply focus on their customers, in the knowledge that all the technologies delivering their capabilities work together. That is why we are dedicated to developing products and solutions that are so integrated with our customer’s way of working, that they are almost invisible – the workhorse in the background that powers business success.
PSCEU is made up of six product categories:
- Broadcast & ProAV gives you the freedom to tell the story with its high quality products and solutions, which ensure smooth operation and excellent cost-performance across a range of remote cameras, switchers, studio cameras and ENG P2HD. The cinema camera range of VariCam models and the EVA1 are capable of true 4K and High Dynamic Range (HDR) making them the ideal solution for cinema, television, documentary and live event production.
- Communication Solutions offers world leading telephony systems, SIP terminal devices and professional ‘network’ scanners giving you the freedom to focus on the communication and not the connection.
- Computer Product Solutions help mobile workers improve productivity with its range of Toughbook rugged notebooks, business tablets, handhelds and electronic point of sales (EPOS) systems. As European market leaders, Panasonic had a 57% revenue share of sales of rugged and durable notebooks and tablets in 2017 (VDC Research, March 2018).
- Industrial Medical Vision manufactures applications for various segments such as medical, life science, ProAV or industrial. The product portfolio includes complete and OEM camera systems, providing the freedom to see what can’t be seen.
- Security Solutions, built on a heritage of providing evidential quality CCTV footage. Delivering the highest image quality in all environmental conditions using our highly reliable, advanced technology cameras and image recording systems, giving you the freedom to feel secure.
- Visual System Solutions offers the widest range of professional displays and projectors and allows Audio Visual professionals the freedom to create. It leads the European high brightness projector market with a 39% market revenue share (Futuresource >5klm FY17 Q3, excl. 4K & digital cinema).
Panasonic Corporation is a worldwide leader in the development of diverse electronics technologies and solutions for customers in the consumer electronics, housing, automotive, and B2B businesses. The company, which celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2018, has expanded globally and now operates 591 subsidiaries and 88 associated companies worldwide, recording consolidated net sales of Euro 61.4 billion for the year ended March 31, 2018. Committed to pursuing new value through innovation across divisional lines, the company uses its technologies to create a better life and a better world for its customers. To learn more about Panasonic: http://www.panasonic.com/global.